Spaghetti Squash with Green Pea Pesto (Vegan)
Happy Friday! I hope everyone is gearing up for an enjoyable weekend! We’ve had a bit of a rough week and look forward to relaxing tomorrow. Since Adrian (the husband) works on Sunday, I’m planning on a day curled up on the couch or laying out in the park and reading. I’m currently reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel and I’m hooked! If you’re on Goodreads please feel free to follow me 🙂
But enough of that, I promised you a recipe! We had this last week on spaghetti squash (a gift from our sister-in-law’s garden, thanks Jeri!), but I have put this Green Pea Pesto on pasta, quinoa, roasted chickpeas, and as a sandwich spread. It’s super versatile and can be altered to suit your taste and thickness preferences.
Green Pea Pesto
Servings: 4 Prep/Make Time: 5 min. Tools: Food Processor
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 10 oz. cooked green peas
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- water for desired thickness
- First, toast the pine nuts (or buy already roasted!). I toast mine by putting them in a foil-lined pan in our toaster oven and toasting them at the lowest heat setting, but you could also do it in a skillet.
- As the pine nuts are toasting, put 2 Tbsp. EVOO and the garlic in the food processor and pulse a few times until the garlic is roughly chopped.
- Add the green peas*, basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and turn on then turn on the food processor. Add the remaining olive oil in a slow stream as the processor is running.
- Add water (I usually add about 1/4-1/2 of a cup) until the sauce is your desired thickness.
*I take the quick and easy route by buying the pack of English Peas from the refrigerated section of Trader Joe’s that can be cooked by microwaving for 2-3 minutes!
Served on top of spaghetti squash and garnished with more red pepper flakes.
I love using peas in sauces and spreads for an extra protein kick – 1 cup of peas have 8 grams of protein per serving. Yay for plant-based protein!
If you’ve never cooked spaghetti squash before or you’re like me and forget how to each time, here’s the best way I’ve found…
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a pan with aluminum foil and lightly oil it with EVOO.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half from stem to end. (Be careful – if you’ll recall this is how I nicked my pinky finger! These guys are tough to bust open!) Use any large spoon – a soup spoon works great – to scrape out the seeds/middle.
- Place the spaghetti squash cut-side-down on the pan and cover with a tent of foil. (The foil tent allows it to steam and speeds up the cook time.)
- Bake for 45 min. until the edges are starting to turn brown and the inside can be easily scraped out.
What did you have for dinner tonight?
We made chickpea salad sandwiches from yesterday’s leftovers 😉
Yea or nay on spaghetti squash?
Obviously, I’m a fan, but I rarely think to buy them!